Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Quinoa Vegetarian Chili + Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread


I have always wanted to try out a vegetarian chili.  Don't get me wrong I love the kind with meat but I wanted something a little lighter.  This one knocked my socks off.  Not only was it so easy to make but it was so full of flavor you don't even miss the meat.  I loved the addition of quinoa in it, it added a nice texture.  I served it with Ina Garten's Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread- Recipe Here and it was the perfect meal for a chilly night.  I make her cornbread all the time, it is so delicious.  You can could easily make this in your slow cooker if you want, but I used my large Dutch Oven pot.   Saves and reheats well. 
Enjoy!


|| Q U I N O A   V E G E T A R I A N   C H I L I  ||
adapted via Damn Delicious

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (4.5-ounce) can diced green chiles
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder, or more, to taste
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
  • Shredded white cheddar cheese for topping
  • sliced green onions for topping
  • Juice of 1 lime, optional
  • 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced

DIRECTIONS:

  1. In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
  2. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
  3. Stir in quinoa, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and 1-2 cups water, making sure to cover most of the ingredients; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  4. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in beans, corn, cilantro and lime juice, if using, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
  5. Serve immediately with avocado, sliced green onions, shredded cheddar and sour cream  if desired.





4 comments:

Annie Reeves said...

I was hoping you'd post this!! Cannot wait to try.

xx, Annie

Taylor said...

YUM. Chili + Cornbread make the perfect cold night meal! Looks delish as always!

www.TheSarcasticBlonde.com

Just Being Brooklyn said...

Yum! What a perfect meal for this time of year :)

Bellwether said...

I have been making the Two Peas and Their Pod version of this recipe for over 3 years in the slow cooker and it is amazing. It also helps me drop weight when necessary! We call it magic chili in our house. On "healthy" days we top it with plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and a little bit of shredded cheese. I love the addition of corn to the recipe and the jalapeño cornbread! Will try this next time we make it.