Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Chicken and White Bean Chili with Cornbread Croutons + Favorite Soup Pot + New Tee


The slightly cooler temps have me craving Fall foods.  After being out of town a few days and eating every meal out I was more than ready to get back in my kitchen and cook.  I love dining out and experiencing new restaurants but I really love creating something tasty at home.   This chili could not be easier and it is packed with flavor.  The cornbread is super simple and a favorite my mom always makes.  You can eat it by the slice but it is fun to cut it into croutons for garnish!  Added bonus both my kids loved it.  I did serve theirs before adding the jalapenos in so it was less spicy.

||  C H I C K E N + W H I T E  B E A N  C H I L I  
W I T H  C O R N B R E A D  C R O U T O N S ||

- 1 Rotisserie Chicken shredded
- 2 cans cannellini or great white northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- (2) 4oz cans green chiles
- 1.5 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne 
- 1 or 2 tablespoon pickled jalapenos depending how spicy you want it
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 6 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- sliced  green onions

In a large pot or dutch onion heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.  Add in the onion and garlic and cook about 5 minutes.   Add in oregano, cumin, and cayenne.  Then add in chicken and stir all together. Let this cook about 2-3 minutes.  Add in drained beans, green chiles and chicken broth.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Let this simmer 30 minutes to an hour.  Right before serving add in the pickled jalapenos and 1 cup shredded cheese.  
Garnish with the rest of the shredded cheese, green onions, sour cream and cornbread croutons. 

|| C O R N B R E A D  C R O U T O N S ||

- 2 packages Jiffy Cornbread
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 stick butter
- 1 14oz can creamed corn.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Melt butter in a 9x12 baking dish.  Mix other ingredients and pour in pan over melted butter.  Bake 30-40 mins.  Let cool and then slice into squares.  

.................................................
If you are looking for a good soup pot I have this one and love it.  It was a wedding gift 9 years ago and I still use it often.  Le Creuset is expensive but totally worth it.
This is a less expensive version and I have heard great things about the Martha Stewart line. This one is more than 50% off right now and under $100!



.................................
I wanted to share one of my favorite NYC purchases.  I am a sucker for a good tee shirt.  This one is so soft and I like the fit.  I am wearing a size small. I probably could have worn the XS as this runs on the larger side but I like my tees looser.  
I went with the white color but I really liked the green too.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you not making vegetarian meals anymore? I love your meal posts and have been a vegetarian since the start of the year. That soup looks good...I'm going to try it without the chicken. :)

Adrienne Patenaude said...

The chili sounds delicious. I am going to have to try it. I also have never made cornbread but your recipe sounds so easy and moist.

Unknown said...

Just made this meal - AMAZING! Thank you!