Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Home Updates and Home Obsessions

I am starting to feel like our house is slowly coming together.  My main focus lately has been our kitchen and remodeling it.  It is the room we spend the most time in and I figure wheter we eventually add on or sell this house kitchen updates are worth the expense.

So far we have had the built-ins done around the fridge, purchased a new fridge, knocked down the cabinet between the kitchen and dining room, had recess lights installed, and painted the cabinets Decorators White (they were a horrible brown).  This weekend we had our back splash tile laid.  They are actually coming back this morning to grout and finish painting a few cabinets.  I went with white subway tile (I know its what every one and their brother is doing too) but I decided to switch things up and have it laid in a herringbone pattern and do a dark gray grout.

This is a view right in the middle of all the work, after it is grouted I will show more photos.
Our next phase will involve putting in new floors, I am thinking hardwood just to flow with the rest of our house.   I hate the current tile we have and also knocking out a small wall between the kitchen and dining room, it will make the kitchen and dining room one big open room.


Here is a before shot where you can see the stainless back splash before.  The white subway tile really brightens things up. You can also see the ugly tile on the floor I can't wait to replace.

I also worked on cleaning and organizing our porch.  This project got side tracked because of our kitchen work but it is coming along nicely.  I just need a cute light and glass door installed.
It is a great spot because it is right off the kitchen so I can open the door and let the kids play while I cook.

I also tried (tried being the key word) to style under our newly mounted tv.  I have a hard time styling spaces and Matt won't allow anything tall that blocks the tv at all.  
Any thoughts on what to put on there? 
 

Finally potted a new orchid for our den.  See my post here on how to pot and style an orchid like a pro.
 Mirrored Tray Here.

Since I am on a real home kick, I thought I would share some things I am loving for the home.

I love these Japenese Florals, if I had a spot I would so order them. They had been $900 down to $200.  There are three different prints, they would look great above a couch or in a bedroom.


I just adore this side table.  It is simple but so sleek looking.


I love these blue ikat pillows, they are such a steal for a set of two.

 
I love the idea of these for jewelry or sitting out on a coffee or console table filled with pretty objects.


These are now on sale.  I have a similar one pictured below and just love it.  So cute on any table.



I really want one of these cute Felt Banners to hang on our porch!

http://rstyle.me/n/wi9ingf5
 
I want to find a place for this adorable pair.  I love foo dogs and especially love the gold!

Do you guys ever browse the Pottery Barn Teen section?  I always do!  You can find great stuff for great prices.  I love this crystal lamp, thinking about it for my vanity or desk.


I am always a fan of black and white art. So classic even when it is modern.  This would look great over a couch, buffet, or bar cart area.
I love the idea of a round coffee table, especially with kids. This one is stunning!


this version is just as pretty and more budget friendly.


I could not resist these pink glasses.  I love this smaller size for juice, wine, and cocktails.
They also come in a gorgeous turquoise color.




12 comments:

caycee said...

Girl the kitchen is look so good!!!! Love the way you did the tile!!!

Krystine @ www.KrystineEdwards.com said...

I can't wait to see it! Glad John showed 😉

Amy Florez {Baby Mama Juice} said...

Love the herringbone pattern and the grey grout will be stunning! I would put the VCR in the middle and the books on either side. You could swap out one of the books with a grouping of the glass boxes you posted about. It's all looking great!

Trish said...

Hang a gallery wall behind the TV to help it blend in. I did this in my house and have gotten tons of compliments!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/133067363961739632/

Unknown said...

Hi Natalie! Looks great...love subway tile. Have you considered taking the tile up to the ceiling on the right beside the French door? Just a thought...Read your blog everyday! Jackie

Colleen Sullivan said...

Your kitchen is coming along great! I love love love the subway tile laid in the herringbone pattern! Fun twist on something standard.

Christina said...

On the porch, where did you get the thing with the basket drawers? Good lord, I don't even know what to call it.

All Things Big and Small said...

The kitchen looks so great! We just painted a ton of our oak trim to white and it is amazing what just a little paint does. I love the herringbone subway tile too! For the TV console, would you consider some sconces on either side and a gallery wall? I know it is not very minimalist. Here is a link to Emily A. Clark's, http://emilyaclark.com/2013/09/using-dresser-as-our-tv-console.html

I think that Hunted Interior did a similar thing too with their TV.

Here is a link to our house--you can see how much I love all of the brown trim gone!
http://www.allthingsbigandsmallblog.com/2015/02/family-room-before-and-after.html

Emily {Luscious Life & Decor} said...

Kitchen backsplash looks great so far. Can't wait to see the final photo! I love that TV console in the natural wood, but I think it would look beautiful painted white, too. Especially next to those light chairs. I'd also put the tv box in the center and do something to the back wall.

Sparkles said...

I really enjoy your blog! I was shocked to see the foo dogs you like because I have those exact same foo dogs, in the large size but I bought them at Homegoods for $16.99 each,

Lindsey Regan Thorne said...

Your kitchen is going to look so FAB!

Unknown said...

Ok I have never thought to browse PB teen before but you are genius!!! LOVE the crystal lamps they have, now you are going to get me into trouble, lol.

Your kitchen looks great, can't wait to see the rest of it!