Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup


There is nothing I love more than a big pot of homemade soup. I have seen several Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipes floating around lately so I decided to give it a try. I went my girl Ina's recipe, because let's be real she never disappoints in the cooking department, her wardrobe choices however are a different story. I swear she must own 50 navy and black button up shirts, that is all she ever wears! But back to the important things, the recipe. This soup was so good and super easy to whip together after a long day. I picked up a Rotisserie Chicken to cut out the cooking the chicken step (and I don't like dealing with raw chicken, it really grosses me out). The fresh cilantro, avocado and chips were the perfect garnish for the soup. The flavors mix together perfectly! We ate this three nights in a row! Enjoy!

MEXICAN CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Ingredients
4 split (2 whole) chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
Good olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chopped onions (2 onions)
1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
2 cups chopped carrots (4 carrots)
4 large cloves garlic, chopped
2 1/2 quarts chicken stock, preferably homemade
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes in puree, crushed
2 to 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
**3 Ears Fresh Corn shucked (not in original recipe but I added in)**
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, optional
6 (6-inch) fresh white corn tortillas
For serving: sliced avocado, sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, and tortilla chips

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the chicken breasts skin side up on a sheet pan. Rub with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until done. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, discard the skin and bones, and shred the meat. Cover and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions start to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes with their puree, jalapenos, cumin, coriander, 1 tablespoon salt (depending on the saltiness of the chicken stock), 1 teaspoon pepper, and the cilantro, if using. Cut the tortillas in 1/2, then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch strips and add to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and season to taste. Serve the soup hot topped with sliced avocado, a dollop of sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, and broken tortilla chips.

Print Recipe HERE

19 comments:

Sadie + Stella said...

your recipes slay me! need this immediately!

megan said...

yum! i think the corn was a good addition! :)

Sarah said...

I make this ALL the time. It's one of our fave recipes. Anything of Ina's really.

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

This sounds absolutely delicious!!!

Jenny Castle Design said...

Haha! So true, she does have a "uniform" of sorts, but her cooking is solid and delicious. Can't wait to try this recipe!

Unknown said...

My husband is going to love this!!! Thank you for posting the receipe. Cant wait to make it for him.

Portuguese Prepster said...

sounds delish! I love chicken tortilla soup!

natasha {schue love} said...

I love tortilla soup! This looks super delicious!!

Jill said...

yummy!! I had this soup yesterday for lunch. I met a friend out and it was so good and I was just thinking I needed to find the recipe!

Love the cross necklaces from yesterday. I have one and I wear it all the time!!

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

Oh this looks delish! I adore tortilla soup.

Michelle said...

LOVE chicken tortilla! Just pinned so I will remember to make it :) BTW- Newest follower!!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

I've been needed a mexican food fix lately, I think this might be just the ticket! And bring on the cheese (c:

Pris said...

I'm going to have to steal this! Been on the hunt for a chicken tortilla soup myself! Looks divine!

Taylor said...

love me some ina! her wardrobe kills me :) I hate raw chicken too so I love the idea of using a rotisserie chicken instead! looks delicious!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I could eat chicken tortilla soup every week! Yum!

Val said...

Soup truly warms the soul and I'd give anything for a big bowl of this yumminess.

Amy {Fresh and Fancy} said...

Sounds delicous! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

SSM said...

Love the first black suit! :)

celine outlet said...

Well after lots of celine outle time, energy, blood, Celine Purse sweat, tears and frustration, i managed to tie something... definitely not celine bag anywhere near as stunning as i had hoped but Celine Tote since i had not done my hair, Celine Luggage tote something needed to cover it. And here we go.... i'm celine handbag not even going anymore if this thing does not decide to act righ