Thursday, February 23, 2012

Juicing It Does a Body Good.


I have to admit it, I am hooked on juicing. When I first got my juicer I wasn't sure how much I would love it or how often I would use it. Now that I have it, I can't start my day without my juice! If you don't have a juicer I can't say enough good things about them. Do yourself a favor and invest in one, its so worth it! The Breviile Juicer came highly recommended to me so that is what I bought. It is easy to use and clean. It works perfectly.

I do not use the juice as a replacement for a meal. I am a girl likes to eat, for real. I dream about my next meal as soon I finish my current meal. No cutting out meals for me or just drinking them. I make a batch of juice first thing in the morning when I wake up and drink it before I eat breakfast. I swear I have had more energy and my skin has been clearer since starting to juice. Also my hair has been growing crazy fast- not sure if that is a juice side effect too. By starting my day with juice I know I will get at least one big serving of fruits and vegetables for the day!

Most days I drink my green juice (see recipe below). It came recommended by Dr. Oz and we all know he is right on in the health department. I do switch it up occasionally with the carrot fruit juice (also below). Matt won't touch the green stuff so I have to make him fruit juice which I try to sneak carrots in so he will get a veggie!

My 2 Go-to Juices Every Morning:

Carrot Fruit Juice


3 Carrots
2 Oranges (peeled)
1 Grapefruit
Chunk of Fresh Pineapple

Green Juice


3-4 Leaves of Kale
Handful of Spinach
1 Granny Smith Apple
1 lemon (peeled)
1 Baby Cucumber
1 inch piece of Ginger skin removed

These are a few juices I found on the Martha Stewart Whole Living website that I plan to try out soon!

Beet, Apple, Mint Juice

1 small beet, chopped
5 carrots, chopped
1 apple, cored and chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint sprigs
Press beet, carrots, apple, and mint sprigs through a juice extractor. Stir and serve immediately

Green Juice

1/2 head broccoli (or 6 leaves kale), chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley sprigs
Press all ingredients through a juice extractor. Stir and serve immediately.

Grapefruit, Carrot and Ginger Juice

2 chopped grapefruits (peel and pith removed)
5 chopped carrots
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
Press grapefruits, carrots, and ginger through a juice extractor. Stir and serve immediately



Vegetable Juice
I am thinking this would make a killer Bloody Mary- so fresh!



3 medium (about 1 1/2 pounds) tomatoes, cut into large chunks
7 celery stalks, each cut into 3-inch pieces
1/2 pound carrots, each cut into 3-inch pieces (do not peel)
1 piece fresh horseradish, (2 1/2 by 1/4 inches), peeled (or 2 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish)
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
2 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus lemon wedges, for serving
Working in batches, press the tomatoes, celery, carrots, and horseradish through an electric juicer into a large bowl. Stir in salt and lemon juice. Pour vegetable mixture through a fine sieve into another large bowl or a pitcher. Divide vegetable juice evenly between 2 glasses. Serve each with a lemon wedge.

You can find more Juice Recipes on the Whole Living Site. I am always looking for new juice recipes so if you have any favorites please send them my way! Happy Juicing!

21 comments:

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

I keep hearing about juicing, maybe i need to get one too!

erica said...

So some reason it really freaks me out to see anything green added to juices or smoothies. Does it change the taste of the juice or just the color? xo

Jill said...

I still need to get a juicer, I was hoping for one for Valentine, but the hubs got me something else. I have been on a smoothie kick lately too

courtneywagley said...

I really want a juicer, but I would preferably like to try it before I buy!

Hannah said...

I seriously need a juicer! I've been on a real smoothie kick and this sounds just as good to me. You have a fantastic juicer, our espresso machine is Breville and we love it. I think I could easily become obsessed with drinking them. And I agree about not replacing a meal-this girl's gotta eat! But, it helps get all kinds of vitamins.

Amy {Fresh and Fancy} said...

I have been reading about this! I just got into the green monster smoothies - but these look great too! i may have to invest in a juicer :)

Unknown said...

so healthy! I need one!

Patty [PRETTYGROUNDED] said...

Thanks for sharing! I work at a organic fruit and veggie company - maybe you could do a guest post on our company blog?!

Bambino by the Bay said...

Thanks for posting so many great recipes. I have a juicer and go through phases with it- I think I am inspired to pull it out again. And my husband loves juicing too. We are going to try the green one- it sounds like a superfood juice. Thanks!

Christina said...

this makes me want a juicer! so many good recipes!

bykristine said...

Thanks for sharing! Love healthy smoothies. :)

Balancing Lisa said...

now i want a juicer!!! looks so yummy!!

blue chickadee said...

I have always wanted to get a juicer but scared that I wouldn't use it very often?!! All of the juices you featured have me thinking I need to get one-they all look delicious and so healthy!!!

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders said...

We love fresh juices too. These look so healthy and delicious.

Mae B said...

beet apple mint sounds amazing! I've never heard of that combo, I will have to give it a try!
xx

VICTORIA said...

I have just found your blog and all the wonderful recipes.
I look forward to reading often and maybe share a recipe or to on my blog, for my baking couture feature on fridays.
http://shoppegirls.blogspot.com.au/

Val said...

I juice everyday. It's addicting ... I feel so good and I've noticed my skin kinda has a glow.

Dana Gastelum said...

Oh my goodness this is SO good to know! I'm thinking about getting my hubby a juicer for his bday (he is a health NUT!) and would totally love it! I could reap the benefits too, ha! ;) Thanks for the recommendation and recipes to get started!

Day Old News said...

I'm SUPER into juicing. I have a green juice or green smoothie every morning! I love seeing other people hooked too. I wish the clean up was a little easier but worth it!

Bud and Leo said...

I'm obsessed w/ juice too but haven't splurged on a juicer quite yet- thanks for the rec!

Hannah said...

Bryan told me I could go pick out a juicer this week! Which Breville version do you have? I see a dew different versions, all with excellent reviews. Thanks!